Fix Boot Error 0xC0000225 (Application is Missing or Corrupt)
Boot Error 0xC0000225 (Application is Missing or Corrupt) is caused by missing or corrupt system file.
Find out how to fix error 0xC0000225 (status 0xC0000225) by recovering original file from WinSxS Component Store using Emergency Boot Kit.
1. Symptoms of the problem
When computer is powered up, an error message "Status: 0xC0000225
2. Normal boot sequence
The rest of this article refers to Windows 7, but all information below applies to Windows 10 as well.
Normally Windows 7 boots as shown below:
3. Defect in the boot sequence which leads to 'status 0xC0000225' boot error
Defect in the boot sequence which is a reason for 'status 0xC0000225' error is shown below:
4. How to fix status 0xC0000225
1) Download Emergency Boot Kit and deploy it to USB thumbdrive according to the instructions, then set up your BIOS to boot from USB thumbdrive. You need full version of Emergency Boot Kit to actually write changes to the disk, but it's recommended to try demo version to make sure there are no hardware incompatibilities.
2) Boot into Emergency Boot Kit and run File Manager from the main menu:
3) Press Alt+F1 and choose your system partition from the menu. Then press Enter:
4) Navigate to the Windows folder (use UP and DOWN arrow keys and ENTER to step in):
5) Navigate to the winsxs subfolder:
6) Navigate to the subfolder named as amd64_microsoft-windows-b.. There will be multiple ones. You need a particular subfolder which contains winload.exe, winload.efi, winresume.exe and winresume.efi files.
7) Here's how it should look like:
8) Press TAB to switch input focus to the right panel, then press Alt+F2 to bring up disk selection menu for the right panel:
9) Navigate to the Windows folder on the right panel:
10) Navigate to the System32 folder on the right panel:
11) Press TAB to switch input focus back to the left panel and navigate to the winload.exe file using arrow keys:
12) Press F5. Confirm file copying by pressing ENTER:
13) Confirm file overwrite (for winload.exe) by pressing ENTER:
14) Done. Exit Emergency Boot Kit File Manager by pressing F10:
15) Reboot to Windows: