622 visitors today / 1,606,551 total
Fix BOOTMGR is Missing Error
One day, after powering up your PC, you may find out that it fails to boot with "BOOTMGR is missing" error. You've come to the right place. Fortunately, this error is easily fixable.
Learn how to fix BOOTMGR is missing error by restoring original copy of BOOTMGR file from Windows installation disk, using Emergency Boot CD.
1. Symptoms of the problem
When computer is powered up, an error message "BOOTMGR is missing
2. Normal boot sequence
The rest of this article refers to Windows 7, but all information below applies to Windows Vista and Windows 8 as well.
Normally Windows 7 boots as shown below:
3. Defect in the boot sequence which leads to BOOTMGR is missing error
Defect in the boot sequence which is a reason for 'BOOTMGR is missing' error is shown below:
4. How to fix BOOTMGR is missing error
1) Download EBCD and burn it to CD/DVD according to the instructions, then set up your BIOS to boot from CD. You need full EBCD version to actually write changes to the disk, but it's recommended to try demo version first to make sure there are no hardware incompatibilities.
2) Boot EBCD:
3) Run File Manager from the main menu:
4) Press Alt+F1 and choose your boot partition from the menu. In Windows 7 and Windows 8 boot partition has size about 100MB in size and "System Reserved" volume label. In Windows Vista separate boot partition does not exist, computer boots from system disk where Windows OS files are installed (use UP and DOWN arrow keys and ENTER to navigate the menu):
5) In this example, BOOTMGR file is missing from boot partition. If it exists in your environment, delete it (set cursor to the file using arrow keys UP and DOWN and then press F8). If BOOTMGR file is not deleteable, then rename it (for example, to BOOTMGR.OLD by pressing F6 key):
6) Insert Windows 7 installation CD to your CD/DVD drive and press Alt+F2. Choose your CD/DVD drive from the menu using UP and DOWN arrow keys:
7) Press ENTER:
8) Press TAB key to switch input focus to the right panel and navigate to the BOOTMGR file:
9) Press F5 to copy BOOTMGR to the left panel. Confirm with ENTER key:
10) BOOTMGR should appear on the left panel. Make sure it is there and press F10, ENTER to exit EBCD File Manager:
11) Choose Mount & Boot Center in the main menu:
13) Please make sure that radio button "called by BIOS" is selected for your the bootloader of your main OS. Then click the OK button:
14) "BOOTMGR is missing" boot problem should be fixed now. Choose 'Reboot' in the EBCD main menu:
Please note: Mount & Boot Center verifies entire boot path from BIOS to the OS boot loader, so other boot problems may be automatically fixed at this point.