Fix NTLDR is Missing Error
If the error message "NTLDR is missing" appears when you are trying to boot Windows XP, then you can quickly fix it using Emergency Boot CD.
This article explains how to fix NTLDR is missing error, by restoring original NTLDR file from OS installation media.
1. Symptoms of the problem
When computer is powered up, an error message "NTLDR is missing
2. Normal boot sequence
Normally Windows XP boots as shown below:
3. Defect in the boot sequence which leads to NTLDR is missing error
Defect in the boot sequence which is a reason for 'NTLDR is missing' error is shown below:
4. How to fix NTLDR is missing error
1) Download EBCD and burn it to CD/DVD according to the instructions, then set up your BIOS to boot from CD. You need full EBCD version to actually write changes to the disk, but it's recommended to try demo version first to make sure there are no hardware incompatibilities.
2) Boot EBCD:
3) Run File Manager from the main menu:
4) Press Alt+F1 and choose your system disk with installed Windows XP from the menu (use UP and DOWN arrow keys and ENTER):
5) In this example, NTLDR file is missing from system disk. If it exists in your environment, delete it (set cursor to the file using arrow keys UP and DOWN and then press F8). If NTLDR file is not deleteable, then rename it (for example, to NTLDR.OLD by pressing F6 key):
6) Insert Windows XP installation CD to your CD/DVD drive and press Alt+F2. Choose your CD/DVD drive from the menu using UP and DOWN arrow keys:
7) Press ENTER:
8) Press TAB key to switch input focus to the right panel and navigate to I386 folder using UP and DOWN arrow keys, then press ENTER to enter that folder:
9) Using PAGE UP, PAGE DOWN keys and arrow keys (UP and DOWN) please navigate to the NTLDR file:
10) Press F5 to copy NTLDR to the left panel. Confirm with ENTER key:
11) NTLDR should appear on the left panel. Make sure it is there and press F10, ENTER to exit EBCD File Manager:
12) Choose Mount & Boot Center in the main menu:
14) Please make sure that radio button "called by BIOS" is selected for your the bootloader of your main OS. Then click the OK button:
15) "NTLDR is missing" boot problem should be fixed now. Choose 'Reboot' in the EBCD main menu:
Please note: Mount & Boot Center verifies entire boot path from BIOS to the OS boot loader, so other boot problems may be automatically fixed at this point.