B01: Installing Windows XP on Netbooks and Other Computers Without DVD Drive
1. Preparing USB thumbdrive
Get USB thumbdrive. Fast one (USB 2.0 device) is recommended. Minimum capacity is 1Gb.
Download and install FlashBoot.
Step-by-step guide follows:
1) Run FlashBoot, click Next
2) Choose CD -> USB in Main Menu
3) Choose CD/DVD drive or image file and click Next
4) Choose "Convert Windows XP/2000 installation CD" from the scenario list and click Next
5) Choose target USB disk (flash, HDD) or image file and click Next
6) Enter volume label or leave it as is and click Next
7) Check summary information and click Next
8) Wait for process completion
9) USB disk is ready for use. Click OK to exit
2. Setting up BIOS to boot from USB thumbdrive
3. Running Windows XP installation from USB thumbdrive
This should be obvious. First, you need to create partitions with DOS-style FDISK, then installation continues usual way via DOS-based Setup, Text-Mode Setup and finally GUI Setup. If you have any questions, consult this gallery.
4. What if I'm getting BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) during installation?
This is probably because you have AHCI enabled in your BIOS setup. Read this article to get more information about working around BSoD issues during Windows XP installation.