B04: Resetting Windows Password With EBCD
1. Getting EBCD
EBCD is a software to burn on CD/DVD for booting PC and recovering data in emergency situations. EBCD includes Windows Password Wizard, which can be used to restore access to your PC when you forgot the password for Windows user account.
EBCD can be downloaded from http://www.prime-expert.com/ebcd/download.php .
When download is complete, you can burn ISO to the CD/DVD media according to this instruction. Also it explains how to set up BIOS to boot from CD and verify that CD/DVD was burned properly.
We recommend using rewritable media CD-RW/DVD-RW/DVD+RW discs rather than write-once CD-R/DVD-R/DVD+R.
2. About EBCD Password Wizard
EBCD Password Wizard behaves the usual way:
- To open next wizard page, click Next> button.
- To return to previous wizard page, click <Back button.
- To cancel (exit wizard without applying changes), click Cancel button.
3. Step by step guide
1) Boot EBCD, choose "Windows Password Wizard" in main menu.
2) Just after starting the wizard you should see message like one shown on the screenshot. It will automatically disappear after a few seconds.
3) If your PC has multiple Windows installations, then after scanning completion you should see a table, containing a list of all Windows installations. Please select Windows installation you are going to change password for, using ↑ (UP) and ↓ (DOWN) keys, and click Next> button. If there is only one Windows installation on your PC, then this wizard page is not displayed (wizard automatically skips it to step 4).
4) This page displays user account list. For each user account EBCD displays its status: locked or unlocked. Select user account to change password for (and also optionally unlock) using ↑ (UP) and ↓ (DOWN) and click Next> button.
5) This wizard page is to enter new password. You may also check target user name and Windows installation here. You may set blank password as well. If account for target user is locked, this page also displays check box labeled "Also unlock this account", checked by default. If you leave it checked, then account will be unlocked. To leave account as is locked, uncheck the check box by clicking it. Click Next> button to continue.
6) The last wizard page either acknowledges that password was changed successfully, or displays some error message. In demo version of EBCD all computations are performed in memory, but never written to disk.
So, after verifying there are no errors (i.e. EBCD is compatible with your HDD controller, Windows version, Windows Registry format etc) you may safely purchase EBCD to perform actual password reset. Full version of EBCD displays message like this:
4. Ordering full version
If you want to buy EBCD, navigate to http://www.prime-expert.com/ebcd/buy.php .
Price of full version is $39.95. ISO images are delivered immediately after purchase, as an URL in the email message.