Emergency Boot CD Update Wizard
If you are registered user of old version, use this Update Wizard to automatically generate ISO file of registered EBCD 1.4 from ISO file of registered EBCD of old version.
- New tool added: EBCD Partition Manager: FDISK-like functionality and partition imaging (wanted by 38.2% of our users according to the poll).
- Poll has been updated to exclude already implemented features.
- Retail price of EBCD was permanently increased by $10. All registered users of old versions can upgrade for free.
This update fixes the following error in registry-related EBCD tools:
Failed to read 'InstallDate' value of '\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion' key in the SOFTWARE registry hive
This update fixes assertion failure 2161/SZ7BZ in Mount & Boot Center.
This update fixes the following error:
Can't run Mount & Boot Center: Can't extract boot code from vfat filesystem: boot sector is not valid
This update fixes assertion failures 2109/ET3QA, 2584/CF3NH in Mount & Boot Center (related to updating boot sector of Windows 8 boot partition).
Mount & Boot Center: fixed a bug when changed BCD hive wasn't commited to disk sometimes.
- Added support for USB 3.0 host controllers (XHCI).
- Newer UDF filesystems on DVD discs should work OK now.
Assertion failure 1419/YQ9UV should be fixed now. It occured when starting Mount & Boot Center on certain hardware configurations.
New feature added: Mount & Boot Center. Mount & Boot Center is a tool to reassign and fix missing drive letters (mount points), including disk C:, in Windows installations; a tool to easily edit boot menus (boot.ini of NTLDR and BCD of Bootmgr); a tool to fix boot records and active partition flags. Also Mount & Boot Center can change disk signatures and GUIDs (in sync with MountedDevices key in SYSTEM hive and device descriptors in BCD hive) and resolve conflicts of disk signatures.
Logical volumes of extended partitions with non-empty boot code in EBR are now recognized on MBR disks.
Additional log file Z:\Logs\disks_partitions.xml now contains information about disks and partitions (for EBCD debug purpose).
if_em aka em0 (driver for Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet chip) has been disabled entirely.
Bugfixing release: EBCD should halt no more after the message "em0: Using an MSI interrupt" at boot time.
Added support for GPT disks.
Bugfix in Windows installation detector: After code maintenance in v1.3a EBCD wasn't able to detect Windows installations in \WINNT folder.
New features in the Registry Editor: search and replace.
- Registry Editor now supports selection of registry keys with Ins or GrayPlus/GrayMinus, mass renaming (by wildcard) and mass deletion of selected registry keys.
- Improvements in common load/save dialog (error handling of missing files and missing/readonly disks; support for full pathnames in saved file name field).
- Registry difference report now contains correct file name for right column; report name in Z:\Logs is substituted automatically.
- Password editor now strictly prevalidates and postvalidates SAM registry hive.
New features in the Registry Editor: key export, import and comparison to external file.
Small bugfix in error handling and reporting code of Registry Editor.
New feature added: Registry Editor.
Update wizard should work OK now for 1.2d and earlier versions updated directly from CD.
Bugfixing release: Update wizard should work OK now for EBCD 1.1k and earlier full versions ordered in 2008-2010.
- Bugfix in Password Wizard: SAM hives without corresponding LOG file could not be saved (there was file rename error).
- Small UI improvements.
New feature added: Windows Registry Defragmenter.
Fixed a bug in Registry access library: keys with lowercase Unicode characters in range U+0080..U+00FF within first four characters of key name were unreachable when stored in fast hashless index; this caused "Can't get key class ... key does not exist" error message when starting Windows Password Wizard (SAM hive didn't pass prevalidation test).
Two bugs in the Registry access library were fixed:
- Wrong size of chunks was chosen on creation/update of large BLOB values.
- Update of the first sector in the first bin conflicted with update of the timestamp in the first bin.
Registry access library now correctly updates statistics in registry key nodes (i.e. max length of value name, max length of value data).
Fixed assertion failures in viewer when scrolling empty file.
- Multiple assertion failures in editor were fixed (related to tabulation handing).
- New viewer now supports arbitrarily large files. Old viewer used to exhaust free memory on large files and reboot EBCD because of SIGKILL delivered to the main process.
- Version number 1.2l was skipped to avoid confusion with 1.21.
Halting problem after "em0: Using an MSI Interrupt" was fixed.
Internal rearrangements and enhancements, no user-visible changes.
Fixed-size ramdisk replaced with growing tmpfs. Errors related to out-of-ramdisk-space condition like
Master registry file requires rollback, but the log file is either corrupt, or doesn't apply to master file.or
Can't run windows password wizard Failed to read '\SAM' key of SAM database(especially on old Windows installations with large registry files) should be fixed now.
Fixed the error which could occur when switching to 800x600 screen mode:
failed to map video memory: invalid argument
Fixed BSD loader to skip ISA memory hole at 15-16 Mb when loading ramdisk.
Also disabled compression of the kernel and ramdisk and added diagnostic message to EBCD init.
This should fix the halting problem after the following message:
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0
Also EBCD ISO and Update Wizard are now ZIP-compressed to aid against partial download errors.
Fixed a minor bug/misprint.
EBCD has moved to the new kernel (BSD).
This version should fix the following bug:
Can't add device Z:\System\block\sdd Out of range access detected Object: ECBasicString File: Src/linux-commander/rtl/strconv/ECStringConversion.cpp Line: 670
Bugfixing (USB related).
USB support, which was broken in 1.2 and 1.2a, now works as expected.
Now EBCD can automatically detect VESA video modes supported by video card and monitor. This should ultimately fix trashed screen problems after bootup. Default choice of video mode still can be overriden by user, but now all video modes unsupported by BIOS are hidden from the menu.
All system components (kernel, libc, cross-compiler, ntfs driver, GUI library) were updated to the latest versions. This is a starting point for new features, which will be added in subsequent updates, when stability of the new environment is confirmed.
Fixed a bug in Password Wizard which produced "out of range access" error in Level 2 Registry component in some rare cases when growth of registry file was required to complete password change operation.
Fixed a bug in Password Wizard which forced skipping of local disks with Windows installations if SOFTWARE registry hive was stored without a log.
Added detailed descriptions why local disks are skipped in Password Wizard. Users who get "There are no Microsoft Windows installations on this PC" error in Password Wizard are encouraged to send detailed bug reports.
Order ID added to activation key. Activation keys for 1.1h+ versions will not be applicable to older versions; activation keys for older version will be applicable to 1.1h+ versions.
- String implementation changed to more reliable to fix possible race condition
- Improved assertion handling to avoid dependency on string class
- Added disclaimer message for Password Wizard
- Fixed too large font appearance under Vista with nondefault DPI, on the website also
- Fixed assertion error in ECNtUser.cpp (password wizard, XP SP3 and Vista)
- Added more video modes (for users of some laptops)
More verbose diagnostics for unknown hash format errors
- Added HTML help to CD image
- Fixed out-of-range access error in registry library which occured when reading empty value of type REG_MULTI_SZ
- 1.1c: Minor bugfix in server side EBCD ISO generator of registered versions
- 1.1b: Registration data for EBCD now can include Unicode characters
- 1.1a: More verbose diagnostics for out-of-range exception errors
New function added: Windows Password Wizard.