B20: Boot Windows From USB
1. Intended audience
This article is for people who need to install Windows 8 to USB thumbdrive as if it was fixed HDD, and boot it everywhere: at home, at friend's home, at work, at public library or internet-cafe.
You can carry the entire OS in your pocket: your applications, your documents, your browser; and run it everywhere!
If you are security-concerned person, you can encrypt your entire fixed HDD with software like TrueCrypt and carry your USB thumbdrive with an OS as a key to your data. So, there's no way to secretly install the keylogger to your PC when you're away.
2. Installing Windows 8 to USB thumbdrive
Get USB thumbdrive, it should be as fast as possible. USB 2.0+ device is required, USB 3.0 is recommended. Minimum capacity is 16Gb.
Download and install FlashBoot.
Step-by-step guide follows:
1) Run FlashBoot, click Next
2) Choose CD -> USB in Main Menu
3) Choose CD/DVD drive or image file and click Next
4) Choose "Install fully-functional Windows 8 to USB thumbdrive" from the scenario list and click Next
5) Choose target USB disk (flash, HDD) and click Next
6) Enter volume label or leave it as is and click Next
7) Check summary information and click Next
8) Wait for process completion
9) USB disk is ready for use. Click OK to exit
3. Setting up BIOS to boot from USB thumbdrive